Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Welcome to the World, Baby Girl!

We had a birth in the family recently, a new baby girl cousin for our girls!

I didn't post photos of her at the time, because my sister had emailed me with her concerns over some of the personal information I had shared online (such as my real name, our city and state, and the names of our daughters' schools). It was something that I should have thought about, but didn't...so many bloggers post this information on their blogs. But, there are also those who don't, like Melancholy Smile, who shares photos and videos, but not even the first names of her children. My sister directed me to this blog for a discussion on whether or not to post photos of your children online. (I'll add more info on this issue at the bottom of this post, for those who may be interested in reading more on the subject). After giving it considerable thought, I decided to remove information such as my real name, our city and state, and the names of our childrens' schools, but to continue to post photos of them on this, my increasingly popular blog. Thanks to my sister for sharing her concerns with me!

All of this to say, someone from my extensive reading audience asked me why I hadn't posted photos of the new baby girl in our family. It was for this reason, for her privacy and safety (and that of her parents, of course), that I didn't. So, without using her name, I'll post a couple of photos of my happy daughters on the night that they met their new cousin.

Welcome to the World, Baby Girl!




**Now, back to boring Mommy stuff**

Here is some more information that my sister shared with me. It comes from the website NetSmartz411:

"Thank you for your comment - blogs by parents are becoming more and more popular. For the most part, our advice is for parents and guardians to help children to be safer while online. But you are right - the advice we give children should be followed by adults as well.


"Posting a child's picture on any site could put them at risk for victimization. I urge you to let your friends, family, and community know about NetSmartz411 as a resource for Internet safety. The advice particularly in the social networking and photo/video sharing sections could be very helpful to them. I also urge you to recommend using privacy settings of the blogging site to only allow access to close, trusted family and friends. I am also including some further information below.


"Using privacy settings to limit access to your children's pictures can help to protect them. However, you need to be sure that only people you know and trust in real life are able to see the pictures.


"There are many safety issues that arise when posting pictures of children online. These pictures can be viewed, copied, and saved by people all over the world. Once you put a picture out there, it can never be taken back. Any information, such as the name and location of their home, given on the web site would be available to everyone, regardless of their intentions. These children’s faces will be on the Internet forever and may be used in ways you may not realize. People looking to harm children could see the pictures and take advantage of the opportunity to make contact with children. This is especially dangerous if the pictures are posted on a site where personal information available could make it very easy for someone to find these children. The child’s name is not as risky as a last name, parents’ full names, or location being listed with the picture.


"We ask that you consider your audience well before choosing how and where you post pictures of children. We recommend ensuring that no identifiable information is provided where the picture is posted, such as home address, telephone number, school name, or any other significant identifying information that could be used to locate a child. Group pictures are preferable to individual pictures."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love to take those 2 to bed and show them where a baby comes out, little p---y's sooooooooo tight to finger and taste fantastic, my ex had a home daycare I use to get so much under 5 p---y, like baby best though