This is the mosaic craft that I found for my daughters at a Ben Franklin craft store several months ago. It was quite a deal for the $2 or $3 I paid for it, so I was thrilled to find it. The girls really enjoyed it-- for the first 10 minutes or so. And, as you can see, I thoroughly enjoyed it, too. I was "helping them," which, in all honesty, I rarely do, as I'm a big fan of letting children's art be just that--children's art. And that is how I knew, after I spent a good 40 or 50 minutes lost in this project--adrenaline rushing, creativity and wonder washing over me--that I just had to sign up for a mosaic class.I had my first class this past week, and I found myself wishing that the teacher would pull out a bag of foam squares. Instead, she decided to make it a tad more challenging by having us cut our own mosaic glass out of stained glass scraps. All I have to say is, it's a lot more difficult than it looks! And, one tiny little caveat-- be careful not to dig through a container of stained glass remnants barehanded, or you will spend the rest of the class wiping blood off of everything you touch.
Without further ado, here's my first attempt at my first project (it's a mirror). I realize that it's not nearly as impressive as my mosaic craft from Ben Franklin, but I should mention that the teacher talked for most of the two hour class, and so we only had a half an hour or so to dig through broken glass, wipe up blood, and try to arrange and glue down some pieces.

No comments:
Post a Comment