Oh, to ride a bike! There's just something about the feeling of freedom it gives you-- along with that delightful feeling that you're cheating at exercise--that I really love! The last bike I had was a mountain bike that was too big for me when I bought it. I sold it when I moved back home to attend graduate school in 1995. As I sit down to write this, I can't believe that I haven't had a bicycle in 13 years. (I have certainly put in my time pushing young children on their own bicycles in the meantime!)
I didn't realize how much I had missed riding a bike until my next door neighbor, Laura offered to loan me hers. It's a beach cruiser, and a lovely ride, except that it was made for men. I borrowed it anyway, and was thrilled to find one of those $300+ bike trailers on Craigslist for $80. The girls love it! I love it! But, I was having a difficult time whenever I had to stop, because the bar on the bike was too high for me. Yesterday, Trent suggested that he ride the beach cruiser, and that I spend my birthday money on a new one. My first thought was to search online and on Craigslist, but Trent suggested that we go the instant gratification route, and look at bikes at Target. How could I refuse? I honestly didn't think that I'd be satisfied with a bike from Target, but it's perfect for me and I love it!
Many thanks to Laura, who loaned me her bike and reminded me how much I love to ride, and thanks to my family members whose birthday gifts made my new bike and bike trailer possible! (I am also grateful for the slightly pulled muscle in my leg, which reminds me not to go overboard when I feel like I could ride all day long!)
Here are a few photos of the fun we've been having. Look ma, no hands!

1 comment:
I'm really enjoying your blog, Mary Margaret. This post has inspired me to push Michael on getting a trailer for our bikes. Maybe we'll meet you on the open roads one day.
Mary D
Post a Comment