Thursday, February 12, 2009

A Noble Profession

Last night Trent asked the girls what they want to be when they grow up, and a lively conversation ensued. Without hesitation, Reagan announced that she wants to be a "sheffer." (She's currently making great strides in speech therapy). Trent thought she meant a chauffeur, and I thought she meant a shepherd. As it turns out, she meant that she wants to be a chef (you know, a cheffer). Although all three girls love to help out in the kitchen, she's the one who will come in and help me with dinner (even if it's just to help warm up their milk) every night. And so, yes, it makes perfect sense: she's our little cheffer. (Yes, they still like their milk warm...who am I to complain as long as they drink it?)

Eliza's first response was that she wants to be an artist. We have told her on numerous occasions that she's going to be a great artist one day, since she's the one who loves to sit and color for hours at a time. She has an interesting "coloring inside the lines within the lines" technique, illustrated here:


After some considerable thought, conversation, and advice, Eliza revised her future profession from artist to art teacher. Perhaps one day she'll be both!

Sallie was the last to respond, but answered immediately and unequivocally: "I'm going to be a stay-at-home mom." Throughout the conversation, she maintained her position. She wasn't looking for suggestions or taking anyone else's ideas that may have sounded better.

I have to admit that this struck me quite profoundly. Despite all of the thoughts I've had about what my children may grow up to be (see the sidebar, for example), I never once considered that they might want to be just. like. me.

How very heartwarming.

(Incidentally, I'm a stay-at-home mom, but I'm also an art teacher--I start teaching my first class with Young Rembrandts next Tuesday at Sallie's school!)

Stay-at-home mommy in training, October 2006




(That, as my dad would say, is a job you can take a degree of pride in!)

No comments: