Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Five O'Clock Rule

Eliza's clock (presumably at 5:00)

A few weeks ago, Trent mentioned the Five-Second Rule to Eliza after she dropped some food on the floor. She has turned it into the Five O'Clock Rule. Her confusion is compounded in a very cute way by the fact that she can't tell time.

Night before last, Reagan dropped a piece of candy on the floor. Eliza stood watching the clock, waiting for one of the three hands to pass the 5, and then told Reagan that it was ok to pick it up and eat it.

Yesterday in the grocery store, Reagan dropped a piece of chicken. She wanted me to pick it up for her, which I did, but I threw it in the trash can and offered her another piece. Not mindful of the Five-Second Rule, I explained that we don't eat food off of the grocery store floor. To which Eliza quickly added, "Yeah, you don't eat it off the floor after 5:00, and we don't even have a clock here. Remember our rule, Mom?"

I hope that she stays almost-four-years-old forever.

1 comment:

MelancholySmile said...

Oh, that is simply adorable! It really is a wonderful age, isn't it?