Tuesday, January 13, 2009

New Year's Resolution #3: Be the Change.

Photo courtesy of Kelly Brooks


"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
-Gandhi

I u
sed to spend a fair amount of time volunteering, and I always enjoyed it, but rarely did I have to go out and seek volunteer opportunities on my own. I was always part of a group-- whether it was my high school club, my college sorority, or my job-- where opportunities to volunteer were always presented to me.

Now that I have three in school, I enjoy volunteering at both of their schools. But, except for one brief stint working with children at a local hospital before my children were born, I've never sought out volunteer jobs on my own.

A few months ago, a friend of mine told me about a great organization called the HandsOn Network. And, back in October, I volunteered for my local HandsOn Day, and spent about five hours cleaning and painting the bathrooms in a nearby Elementary School.

Giving back to our communities is a great way to do something positive for our world, especially during these difficult and uncertain times we're facing. I found that the time I spent volunteering was entirely positive--I didn't spend a single solitary second thinking about my own problems (real or imagined). And I found joy in the smallest things, from cleaning spit balls off of the wall to meeting like-minded citizens of our community.

You can find volunteer opportunities in your own area here or here. This year, let's all resolve to be the change!

1 comment:

Delightful Domestic Science said...

I read what you wrote in the snotty comments section of the remarks from sparks blog and really appreciated it. Before she was linked on cjane I had been working with her on a banner for my private blog. After reading that post I felt a sudden disgust. I cried when I read it not because it's about my blog but because it was just mean. She doesn't have children and seemed very condescending to those that do. I appreciate your courage!
Wishing you life's best.